Whether you’re traveling with a group, seeking luxury accommodations, going on a solo adventure, or a family trip, let’s find out how to get the best B&Bs in Rome and make your stay truly unforgettable.
Best B&Bs for Groups
So, if you’re a young adventurer about to set off on a trip with your friends, I know how important it is to be close to all the exciting nightlife. I mean, who wants to deal with traveling across the entire city after a wild night out, right? Keep an eye out for places in San Lorenzo, Equilino, and Trastevere.
San Lorenzo exudes youthful energy and alternative culture. With its convenient location near Termini Station and Tiburtina Station, the neighborhood offers excellent connectivity. The close proximity to Rome University La Sapienza further establishes San Lorenzo as a cherished hub for students in their early- to mid-20s.
Stay in San Lorenzo if you’re looking for:
- Youthful energy and alternative culture
- Easy access to Rome’s main train stations (Termini and Tiburtina)
- Opportunities to interact with young locals
- Renowned graffiti and street art scene
- A taste of alternative culture
Esquilino is a vibrant and multicultural district, well-connected with the A-line metro and within walking distance from Termini Station. The area is renowned for its laid-back atmosphere, charming bars, and bustling international market, Mercato Esquilino.
Book your B&B in Esquilino, Rome, if you’re looking for:
- Diverse and multicultural ambiance
- Large apartments with high ceilings
- Central location with excellent transport connections
Trastevere, nestled on the west bank of the Tiber River, it’s an ideal choice for a group of travelers. Its quaint yet artsy streets provide a lively and authentic experience with plenty of dining options, convenient access to attractions, and an energetic atmosphere.
Choose Trastevere if you’re looking for:
- A unique blend of ancient history and modern vibrancy
- Charming trattorias and bars, loved by both tourists and locals
- The tourist-friendly yet authentic atmosphere
- Well-connected to attractions, only 15 minutes by bus or tram from the Pantheon and Vatican
- Vibrant nightlife
Best B&Bs for Singles
If you’re a solo traveler choosing a B&B in a vibrant neighborhood such as Trastevere can be an excellent option. The lively atmosphere and bustling streets of Trastevere create an ideal setting for meeting new people and immersing yourself in the local culture. Alternatively, if you prefer a more social experience, you might consider booking a single room in a hostel, where you can easily interact with fellow travelers.
Best B&Bs for Solo Female Travellers
Being a female traveler myself, I understand the importance of staying in a safe area when traveling alone. Rome, being a bustling capital city, is relatively safe for solo female travelers, even at night. However, there are certain neighbourhoods that I consider to be the best neighborhood to stay in Rome in terms of safety, such as:
These areas offer a lively atmosphere that lasts late into the evenings, along with enhanced security measures that include police presence at night.
As a female solo traveler, it is advisable to avoid the area surrounding Termini station. Although it is perfectly safe and well-guarded during the day, the safety can be slightly compromised in the evening.
Best B&Bs for Couples
Rome is an idyllic destination for lovebirds seeking a romantic weekend getaway. When it comes to finding the perfect area to stay, consider these options:
This central neighbourhood offers an intimate setting for couples. What to expect:
- Artisan shops and hidden alleys
- Proximity to landmarks like Piazza Navona and the Pantheon
- A blend of history, romance, and Roman authenticity
Consider booking a B&B in Via Giulia, one of Rome’s most beautiful streets, known for its exquisite palaces and art galleries, enhancing the romantic and culturally-rich atmosphere.
Rione Parione is another great option. Couples can wander hand-in-hand through the picturesque streets, savour romantic dinners at intimate trattorias, and enjoy the lively ambiance of Campo de’ Fiori. The neighbourhood’s proximity to notable landmarks, such as the Pantheon and Piazza Navona, adds to its appeal.
Best B&Bs for Families with Children
When searching for the ideal B&Bs in Rome that cater to families, there are several safe neighbourhoods and convenient access to attractions, public transportation, and family-oriented amenities like parks, playgrounds, and restaurants.
Aventino, a top choice for families, offers a safe and upscale environment in a central location. Families can enjoy attractions such as:
- the Orange Garden (Giardino degli Aranci)
- Circus Maximus
Located in an upscale area, Celio is the best area to stay in Rome for families seeking a serene atmosphere without overcrowding and wanting a bed and breakfast in Rome near Colosseum.
The neighbourhood’s standout features are:
- Villa Celimontana is a stunning park perfect for families to enjoy a peaceful retreat
- Close proximity to the iconic Colosseum
- Convenient access to Rome’s historical wonders
For families seeking a more residential feel, Appio Latino is a fantastic neighbourhood to consider. With its welcoming atmosphere, it offers family-friendly attractions, including:
- The historic Appian Way
- The expansive Parco della Caffarella perfect for outdoor activities
- Easy access to metro stations and bus routes
Best Budget-Friendly B&Bs
If you’re looking for affordable accommodation, one option is lodging outside the Ancient walls of the city, which means going beyond the bustling city centre.
Although this choice may place you approximately 30 to 45 minutes away from the main tourist attractions and popular spots via public transport, there are several advantages worth considering, such as:
- You’ll likely find the cheapest bed and breakfast, allowing you to save money on lodging expenses.
- A peaceful retreat from the hustle and bustle of the touristy parts of the city.
- Experiencing Rome from a local’s point of view.
- The chance to stumble upon Ancient Roman ruins and impressive Baroque-era buildings even in local neighbourhood parks.
- Reduced risk of falling into tourist traps.
- Significant savings when dining out, as prices tend to be lower compared to tourist-centric areas.
So, while it may involve a slightly longer commute, exploring the outskirts can offer a unique and more economical way to enjoy your stay.
Best Luxury B&Bs
Several areas offer luxurious B&B options for those seeking an opulent stay in the heart of Rome, especially in areas like:
These luxury B&Bs are often housed in historical buildings from the 16th and 17th centuries. They typically feature breathtaking views over the city, elegant furniture, spacious rooms, and exposed beam ceilings.
Some of these historic Rome bed and breakfast even offer unique amenities, such as swimming pools in the living rooms and rooftop terraces, providing an extraordinary experience for guests seeking the pinnacle of luxury in Rome.