Rome "summer spots" and festivalsMost of the Rome night clubs shut down during the summer time due to Rome being unbearable with the heat during the summer of July/August. However, Rome does not slow down: it still offers all kind of events, festivals and shows;from the World music festival in Villa Ada (one of the city parks) to the Villa Celimontana Jazz Music Festival, from the Gay Village event to Fiesta. And that's not all: there are many open air cinemas, opera and classical music events which are usually held at the Caracalla Thermal Baths not to mention sporting events too.
Here are some of the main events in Rome and surroundings:
- - Roma Incontra il Mondo( Villa Ada Festival), via Ponte Salario, www.villaada.org, a world music festival, with a market and food kiosks, located in the Villa Ada Park.
- Villa Celimontana Jazz festival, www.villacelimontanajazz.com
an institution of the roman summer, held in a beautiful park and not far from the Colosseum. Live jazz performances every night and possibility of dining under the stars while listening to excellent jazz bands.
- Roman Theatre of Ostia Antica
The wonderful location of the archaeological site of Ostia Antica comes alive with theatre plays, art, ballet, standing comedians.
- Summer Season of the Opera theatre, Caracalla Thermal Baths, www.operaroma.it
An experience you don’t want to miss: sitting in one of the most magnificent places in the world, listening to some of the most famous operas.
- Gay Village: the location changes every year and the village offers live shows, a disco and movies. www.gayvillage.it
- Fiesta, a celebration of the Latin-American world, with food kiosks and restaurants, Held at the Capannelle Hippodrome, via Appia Nuova 1245
During the summer, Romans love to hit the beach of Ostia (an ancient village located just about 30 km from Rome) by dayto enjoy the sun in one of the many paying beach establishments or at the free beach of Castel Porziano. Bynight, locals mingle and party in one of the many clubs on the Ostia main sea strip.