Piazza del Campidoglio is located on top of the Capitol Hill in Rome, where Roman Divinities were once praised and nowadays it is headquarter of the Italian Government.
The current structure is dated to 1560, as a result of the project by Michelangelo Buonarroti inspired by pre-existent buildings.
The access to the Piazza is through a majestic flight of steps, and the square contains 3 main buildings:
Palazzo Senatorio (which structure was completed by Giacomo dalla Porta and Girolamo Rinaldi between 1582 and 1605) and seat of the city municipality; Palazzo dei Conservatori (on the right side of the square), build by Guidetto Guidetti and Giacomo Dalla Porta in 1568, following original drawings by Michelangelo, host nowadays the Pinacoteca Capitolina (Capitoline Art Museum); Palazzo Nuovo (on the left side of the square), build by the Rinaldi brothers in 1655 again following original drawings by Michelangelo, where the Capitoline museum is located (museum with Hellenic and Roman masterpieces).
On piazza del Campidoglio you can also find the famous statue of She-wolf with the twins (Romulus and Remus).
How to get to piazza del Campidoglio: bus n. 64, 40 (from Termini Station);
Underground: Line B stop: Colosseo and then 10 minutes walking distance circa.