Here are some characteristic points in the centre where your children become explorers searching for animals represented within fountains, churches, and other monuments.
From the Station Termini to Piazza Barberini
- Have a look at the fountain in Piazza dei Cinquecento. You can see four representations of the nymph of the 4 different kinds of water; sea, river, lake, and subterranean water. Every nymph has a different animal. Don’t forget to look at all the eagles at this place.
- Looking at Via Nazionale, move to your right, and you’ll get into Piazza S. Bernardo, having now on your right one of the ugliest fountains, the image of a gigantic Mosé. Here you can find a lot of animals (lions, eagles, …)
- Let’s go now to Via Barberini; following the street, you get into Piazza Barberini, which has two very particular fountains, one in the centre and another one at the beginning of Via Veneto.
- In the centre, the fountain of Tritone, you see dolphins and, if you take a nearer look, also bees.
- The little fountain in Via Veneto is over and over full of bees. Near the fountain, there’s also the entrance to catacombs with real bones.
From Fontana di Trevi to the Quirinale
- The Trevi fountain is surely one of the most known fountains in the world. Children are not allowed to get into the water, even in the hottest summer, but they may throw coins in it. Also, in this fountain, you can see great horses, and you can spot a lion on the right side.
- Looking at the fountain behind you on your right side, go to Via San Vincenzo and then to Via della Dataria, climbing up the Quirinal Hill. Here’s the residence of the Italian President of the Republic. Inside the palace, there’s a wonderful garden. Sometimes it’s also open to the public on the weekend. In the middle of the place stand two very high horses. Here is also the Scuderie del Quirinale, a palace which gives a place for always changing important exhibitions.
- In Via del Quirinale stands the S. Andrea church. At the facade, you may notice two dolphins and a lot of very particular angels inside and outside, released by Bernini. Not far from here, turning right in the direction of Via Nazionale, you are near the Palazzo delle Esposizioni, with always new exhibitions in a great context.