Piazza del PopoloThe square is located at the main northern entrance to the city (Porta Flaminia) and it was rebuilt by Valadier architect in 1834.
On the left side of the 'porta del popolo' we find the church of Santa Maria del Popolo (rebuilt by Baccio Pontelli and Andrea Bregno between 1472 and 1477) that hosts several masterpieces (paintings and sculptures) by Caravaggio ('Crucifixion of St Peter'), Pinturicchio, Carracci, Raffaello, Bramante, Bernini.
On the opposite side there is the so called 'Tridente', gathering point of the 3 famous streets : Via del Corso, via del Babuino and Via di Ripetta.
The 'twin' churches Santa Maria dei Miracoli (1675-179) and Santa Maria di Montesanto (1662-175) are located where the 3 streets gather.
The Flaminio obelisk since 1589 (by order of Pope Sisto V) lies on the centre of the square: it is a granite monolith built in Egypt between 1232 and 1200 b.c. (during the Ramses II and Mineptah dynasties) and brought to Rome by Emperor Augusto.
How to get there: The square is located between via del Corso and Piazzale Flaminio.
Bus n. 88, 95, 117, 119, 490 or 495
Metro line A stop 'Spagna' or 'Flaminio'